Updated: Oct 1, 2019
Interested in making your own jams and preserves? This workshop will demonstrate safe and easy ways to preserve at home, including making low and no-sugar jams.
Free Recipe - Sugar Free Strawberry Jam
1 Kg Strawberries, hulled, halved or quartered, depending on their size
300 to 400 grams xylitol
2 teaspoons of Pomona's Pectin
2 teaspoons calcium water (see Pomona’s Pectin Packet)
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1. Prepare your 250ml jars and lids by sterilizing them in boiling water for ten minutes. The sterilisation step can be skipped and you can use washed, rinsed, hot jars if you are processing for 10 minutes or more in the boiling water bath at the end of the recipe.
2. Wash and hull your strawberries. Place them into your preserving pan and give them a mash with a potato masher to release some of the juice and natural pectin.
3. In the meantime time mix you Pomona’s Pectin with 100 grams of your xylitol or sugar.
4. Slowly add your xylitol-pectin or sugar-pectin mixture, stirring constantly to ensure that it is evenly distributed throughout your fruit mixture.
5. Add your lemon juice, calcium water and your remaining xylitol or sugar and mix in well.
6. Using a high heat and stirring occasionally, bring your jam mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil
for one minute. Remove from the heat.
7. Using a ladle and jar funnel place your jam into your hot, 250 ml jars, leaving a one and a half centimetre headspace. Clean the rims of the jar to ensure you get a good clean seal and cap with your new lids.
8. Process your filled jars in a boiling water bath for five minutes.
9. Alternatively, if you did not pre sterilize your jars and lids, process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Special note: Pomona’s Universal Pectin is a special type of pectin that does not require sugar to set. Instead it requires calcium. This calcium comes with the Pomona’s pectin, along with full and easy instructions on how to mix your calcium water required in this recipe.
I discovered this product during my stay in Pennsylvania USA and I think it is an amazing product. I am happy to say that after 25 years of using Pomona’s Pectin, it is still a small family run business with owners that will get on the phone with you and have a chat.
Co-Director Country Feeling Australia
Author of Sugar-Free Home Preserving.
To inquire about a workshops in your area contact:
Joanne Kennard (Co-Director CFA)
0410 040 707